We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
C. S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

Sunday, March 21, 2010

I grew up in a house that emphasized beauty--make-up, tucking in your stomach, holding in your bottom, dieting. From an early age, I struggled to attain a desirable weight. Finally, in my mid-twenties, I started running and eating right. What I discovered was that the physical act of discipline was not nearly as hard as the spiritual and emotional issues that were coming to the surface as I attempted self-discipline.

What I learned about food being an idol was helpful, but it didn't get to the heart of the issue, and my eating spiraled out of control when life got tough. And when life got easy. And when I was sad, or happy, or scared. I failed at all diets and exercise programs--no amount of self-discipline was working. I fell to my knees in utter despair. The deepest despair I had ever known. And Jesus reached out in that dark place, tipped my head up to meet his gaze, and now I am on the path of Grace. Finally understanding the root of the battle that I kept trying to fight, but which had already been won on the cross.

My goal with this blog is to encourage other women who struggle with food. To pray for you and uplift you and to remind you that you are not alone in this! I know what a shameful struggle it is and how alone you feel. But if you are a Christian, you have the Holy Spirit as well as many sisters who understand and want to encourage you. Please join me as we explore this issue together, our faces pointed toward Jesus and looking at our struggles in the light of God's Grace, in the context of his love for his daughters and his sovereignty over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment